Friday 25 February 2011

Husk





There ought to be a good killer scarecrow movie the imagery works so well but unfortunately this corn rowed of horror is sadly lacking. There is the odd SCARECROWS but equally there is Jeff Burr's NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW which I liked as an early teen but no so much as an adult and unfortunately there is that whole back-flipping SCARECROW SLAYER mess. I suppose for full disclosure I must admit to not taking the time to watch any of the three (there's three?) DARK HARVEST films or THE MAZE all sporting scarecrows on their covers to entice me to watch them but I ain't falling for that and watching another CHILDREN OF THE CORN slasher.

This movie should be drivel and i'm sure some folks will find it guilty as such. For myself, even as a die-hard horror fan soaked in blood and despair of my favourite soul wrenching horror films, I found HUSK enjoyable and exploited the cliches of of the teenagers breaking down flick well. As always there are areas of the film found wanting. Where I can applaud the omission of exploring the college kids relationships, there's only a slight hint of the jock/geek co-relation that should not be, I cannot ignore the sudden exposition of the hows, whys and what fors that come as a revelation to the geeky chess playing character. And while I'm enjoying the rapid stuttering movements of the killer scarecrows the plot becomes mired by a strange psychic/flashback scenario.

As the first of the 8 After Dark Originals to see light on the SyFy channel HUSK certainly stands heads above the normal SyFy movies in terms of production, cinematography editing and acting. Perhaps lower your expectations and you will enjoy a feature length CREEPSHOW style story that has a better home on TV than the big screen.

I'm going out of my way to get semi-erect at HUSK.

No comments:

Post a Comment